Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dillon Mulherin Blog 5

Dillon Mulherin
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Lang
9 August 2013
Sophie’s World
            “Sophie’s World” has been a philosophical book of high praise since it was released in nineteen ninety one. Jostien Gaarder, the author of “Sophie’s World” says “that he loved writing a book that could get teenagers engaged in philosophy.” He certainly did.
            I could connect to St. Augustine’s belief system very well. I completely agree with how he Christianized Plato’s beliefs. He does philosophy right. Most Christians felt threatened when philosophy was brought up, but when St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas Christianized it, it opened up the door to a whole new world of philosophers and thinkers.
            I did not agree with Aristotle’s views on women. Women are a vital part in any community and should be respected. Women have come a long way since Aristotle lived, and for the better. I feel that if Aristotle were alive today his beliefs would be quite different.
            The rabbit’s fur is put into a perspective that the average person is on the flesh of the rabbit, when philosophers are climbing to the top of the fur everyday trying to learn all there is to learn about the world. As a student in high school, I feel like I am right in the middle. I am making the climb, learning something new every day, but I am not trying as hard as philosophers do.

No comments:

Post a Comment